b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezra 4:9 +AR:P.:LFY") = of Tripolis ??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: lizfried AT umich.edu
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, BibleTranslation discussion list <Bible-Translation AT kastanet.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezra 4:9 +AR:P.:LFY") = of Tripolis ??
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:17:36 -0400

Dear Peter,
I don't have Porten's book Archives here with me. But
in his TAD, he doesn't know what it refers to exactly, and just
translates it "officials."
I don't think there was a city Tripoli in the Persian period
because each city was minting its own coins separately. There are
coins for each of them: Arvad, Tyre, Sidon. There are no
coins labeled Tripoli.
Liz