b-hebrew - Re: Psalm 110 was Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: markeddy AT adams.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Psalm 110 was Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:49:52 EST

In a message dated 2/14/2003 12:44:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
markeddy AT adams.net writes:

> Dear Liz,
> My answers are interspersed below.

Mark,

To whom then was David speaking?

gfsomsel
From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
To: Polycarp66 AT aol.com, lizfried AT umich.edu,
b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: Fw: [b-hebrew] le DWD - One more time
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:37:16 -0700

> lizfried AT umich.edu writes:
> > Bringing this back to B-Hebrew, what is the meaning of the prescript =
le?
> > I know that in the pre-exilic period, l'PN meant "belonging to."
> > In the Aramaic letters of Ezra, le is used as a prescript meaning "to
> > PN."
> > This use has been considered to be Hellenistic and Roman, not Persian=
=2E
> > In the Persian period the convention is 'el or 'al.
> > Does anyone know of an earlier use than the Hellenistic period in whi=
ch
> > le could mean "addressed to" rather than "belonging to"?
> > As regards the psalms, I would imagine that the postscripts were
> > added in the Roman period, since if I recall correctly, they do not
> > exist at Qumran.
> > If so, then it would mean "dedicated to" not "belonging to."
> > Even if it does mean "belonging to," I would not interpret it to mean
> > "written by." It would still mean "belonging to" in the sense of
> > "dedicated to."

Liz,
Are you saying that the titles to the psalms don't occur at Qumran? If s=
o,=20
this is incorrect. Is this what you mean by "postscripts"?

--=20
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur