b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] gods & angels + Moses, etymology of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Cohen, Izzy" <Izzy_Cohen AT bmc.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: miricohen AT aol.com
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] gods & angels + Moses, etymology of
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:36:38 -0600

"Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu> wrote:

> ... The term "angel" is a translation of mal'ach,
> which just means messenger. Angel is from the Greek
> angelos which also means messenger. High gods used
> lower level gods as messengers, you can see that all
> through the Ugaritic tales.

Compare Hermes
an ancient Greek god, the herald and messenger of the
other gods, associated with commerce, invention, and
cunning: identified by the Romans with Mercury.

and the REVERSAL of kHeRMes

MeRCury
4. (cap.) the Roman god of commerce, thievery,
eloquence, and science, and messenger to the
other gods: identified with the Greek god Hermes.

Compare MeRCury with Hebrew mem-lamed-aleph-khaf
MaL?aKH = angel.

> There are lots of gods in the OT, the Hebrews were
> commanded not to worship any but YHWH. The gods
> divided the nations of the world, ...

Hermes took Asia minor. He was a Phoenician god
living atop Mt. Hermon before he moved to Mt. Olympus.
His navel (< Sanskrit nabhila) is REVERSED at LeBaNon.
His name still appears near his heel between Oman
and Iran/Persia: the Strait of HoRMuz. King HiRaM
(who made an agreement with King Soloman) probably
claimed descent from HeRMes.

So, we see (superstitious) REVERSAL as an analog
of non-utterance for names/words one should not
pronounce.

> and YHWH took the sons of Jacob as his inheritance.
> Liz

Substitute a velar G/K for the yod, DH for the heh,
F for the vav, and DH for the heh to produce
GoTT/KaTH + FaTH[er], that is, the father-G-d
or creator. If so, Catholic = god-like or godly.
Cathedral < "god" + XeDeR = room, not < chair.

"Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is it true that the etymology of the Bible for the
> name Moses is wrong?

Treating shin as T and heh as DH, MoSHeH = M-ToTH,
that is, "from Thoth". Very appropriate, if given
by an Egyptian princess (adoptive mother).

Thoth (thohth, toht) n.
the ancient Egyptian god of learning and magic,
represented as a man with the head of an ibis or
a baboon and considered as the scribe of the gods.

But, consider the Egyptian equivalent of
mem-tzadi-aleph = to find, hence "foundling".
But I doubt the princess would have named him so.

izzy_cohen2bmc.com