b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Archaeology dates the Pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: mattfeld12 AT charter.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Archaeology dates the Pentateuch
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:12:55 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2003 8:50:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mattfeld12 AT charter.net writes:

> In discussions on the meaning of Hebrew words and texts, an important aspect
> not to be overlooked is the "dating" of the compositions.
>
> Finklestein, Silberman and MacDonald, all trained archaeologists have in
> recently released books proposed that the Primary History, Genesis-2 Kings
> was written between ca. 640-560 BCE. Those interested in their arguments,
> using the archaeological evidence, are invited to access the following
> urls.

Walter,

This is nothing so very new or unusual. The Literary Critics said many years
ago that the Pentateuch (or Hexateuch) was a composite which was only brought
into being at a considerably later date than the putative date of Moses.

gfsomsel