b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nephesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nephesh
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:09:41 -0700

On Friday 07 February 2003 13:37, Lew Osborne wrote:
> Dave
>
> Keil & Delitzsch suggest "celestial being," It matters not what these
> suggest the word elohim means.

They were major Hebrew scholars, so their view is worth noting, unless you
are
prepared to throw out any and every scholar of all time who disagrees with
you.

> A clear meaning of the word throughour Scripture indicate 1/ Moses was
> called Elohim, 2/ The rulers of Israel were called Elohim, The gods made of
> wood and stone were called elohim. Others in the future will be called
> Elohim of Israel. The God of Israel was called an Eloah singular Elohim.

Well, yeah, that's "clear." And the God of Israel was called Elohim more
than
He was called by the singular form.

> Concerning the belief of the Hebrews in Spirits and immortal souls, this
> was not held by the Hebrews in early times. It did however become part of
> their belief system by some after the captivity.

Asserted with no backing whatsoever, hence I will give it the consideration
it
deserves: not much.

[more unfounded assertions snipped - are we just supposed to take your word
for it?]

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur