b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] nefarious nefesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT exchange.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] nefarious nefesh
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:10:20 +1300 (NZDT)

Liz wrote:-

>Dear Jim, Where does it say she summoned his
>*spirit*?? You can't *see* a soul or spirit, can you?
>and since the necromancer *saw* Samuel, it was his
>whole body of course. Sheesh. You gotta get with the
>program here.

Time for a stupid question from me. If Samuel's body turned up for
all to see why did Saul have to ask for a description of what the medium
at Endor saw? Excuse the quotation from the KJV, it says:-

[12] And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the
woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art
Saul.
[13] And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And
the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
[14] And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man
cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it
was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed
himself.

If we are going to go down the path of turning our brains off and being
super-literal, why does the body look like "gods" coming out of the ground?

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury University \_
E-Mail bill dot rea at canterbury dot ac dot nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'