b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] nefarious nefesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] nefarious nefesh
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 23:36:15 +0000

On Tue 4 Feb 2003 (16:40:46), biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com wrote:
> But one particular usage still baffles me: nefesh mot is used to
> describe a dead corpse! Can anyone explain how nefesh, which seems to
> have the base meaning of breath or life or soul, had come to be used to
> describe a corpse? Any help would be appreciate. Thanks!

Dear Matthew

In Genesis 2:7 WaY:HiY Ha'aDaM L:NeFe$ XaYYaH
Presumably before that point he was a nefesh mot; and after he died he was
likewise.

A human being is body+soul. By Synechdoche, /pars pro toto/, a Soul means
also the body which it inhabits/inhabited.

The view from here...
Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm