b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] nefarious nefesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Miller" <biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] nefarious nefesh
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:40:46 -0500

Hi all:
I once wrote an article and did an intensive study on OT uses of nefesh. I
was literally stunned by the wide variety of uses. But one particular
usage still baffles me: nefesh mot is used to describe a dead corpse! Can
anyone explain how nefesh, which seems to have the base meaning of breath
or life or soul, had come to be used to describe a corpse? Any help would
be appreciate. Thanks! Matthew R. Miller