b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: ignorance

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shai Heijmans" <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: ignorance
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:38:59 +0200

Dear Soren,

You wrote:

> I'm stuck over an abbreviation in a Hebrew article: ayin"nun-tet. I've
tried
> the Alcalay dictionary and the abbreviation lists of a few books I
happened
> to have lying around, but to no avail.
> The context makes me suspect the nun-tet is "nosach tevrani",
> Tiberian version, but what's the ayin?

I know of such abbravation that has been coined by Ze'ev Ben-Hayyim in his
works about the Samaritan Hebrew. There it means: "Ivrit Nusah Tveria"
(=tibarian hebrew), and servers to differentiate between ayin-nun-shin which
is "Ivrit Nusah Shomron" (=samaritan hebrew).
Is it that? If not, send me a whole sentence.

Shai Heijmans