b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ¿77 times?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Francesco Venale" <fvenale AT academicstudies.fsnet.co.uk>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ¿77 times?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:43:48 -0000

Dear Sergio,

By taking note of Jesus' answer as found in Greek manuscripts we can
appreciate the problem. I have read the Greek texts of Nestle-Aland and that
of Westcott and Hort where Christ's reply was hebdomekontakis hepta, which
is literally translated "seventy times seven." The difficulty arises with the
suffix kis added to the word for seventy, hebdomekonta. In Greek this suffix
is used in two ways. It can be used as a multiple meaning 'times.' So 'seven
times seven' (7 x 7) would be heptakis hepta. But kis can also be added as a
suffix to indicate 'times' in the sense of occurrences or instances. Hence,
the problem is whether the idiom used by Jesus, "seventy times seven,"
should be understood as 'seventy times (multiplied by) seven' (= 490, as the
Revised Version has it ) or 'seventy and seven times (occurrences).'

One reason that the New World Translation prefers the latter rendering could
be because of the form of Peter's question. In fact he did not use posas,
meaning 'how many?' Rather, he asked posakis-'how many times?' Then he
continued, 'Up to heptakis?' that is, 'Up to seven times?' Logically Jesus
would respond in accord with Peter's phraseology. He would answer, 'Up to
seventy-seven times' (meaning "indefinitely", because we cannot imagine that
anyone would keep count up to 77 times ).

The account of Genesis 4:24 lends additional weight to the rendering
"seventy-seven times". Since God had ruled that anyone killing Cain, the
murderer, must "suffer vengeance seven times," Lamech, who apparently killed
a man in self-defense, said: "If seven times Cain is to be avenged, then
Lamech seventy times and seven."

The Hebrew text is exact in showing this as 70 times and 7, or 77 times. But
what is an equivalent in Greek? Also the LXX uses hebdomekontakis hepta.
Since this is the precise expression found in Matthew 18:22, it suggests that
"seventy-seven times" is the way Jesus' reply to Peter should be rendered.

What do you think?

Regards,

Francesco Venale
London