b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ¿77 times?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ¿77 times?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:50:20 +0100

Shalom Ben,

It appears to me that Peter's suggestion to forgive sevenfold is derived
from Cain's sevenfold avange, while Jesus' answer to forgive seventy-seven
times is derived from Lamech's seventy-sevenfold avange. The wording is too
identical te oversee. Of course we are dealing in Gen. 4:24 as well as in
Mat. 18:22, as well as in Amos with so-called numerical sayings. But Gen.
and Mat. are the closest related to each other.

In my view this has nothing to do with Peter's character. His role is like
Watson's near Sherlock Holmes: ask a question and the hero gives the right
answer!

Kol tuv,
Raymond de Hoop