b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] The Meaning of brkh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] The Meaning of brkh
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:32:43 +1100

David, you ask a good question. Basically I already tried,
independently, to answer it. I see BRK as a case of polysemy, divergent
senses of the same word, rather than homonymy, words of different origin
which happen to coincide in form. But maybe you have further
perspectives from your lexicographical work in Hebrew and in other
languages. Does it actually make a practical difference whether we have
polysemy or homonymy? And is there a way to tell which is happening?
This is not a case where native speaker intuition would help, even if it
were available, as intuitions on etymology are decidedly unreliable.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

But
> wrong in assuming that these are simply homonyms with no etymological
> connection. There is good reason to understand (along with BDB) the
> sense BRK "bless" as a secondary sense of BRK "kneel"; also B.:R"KFH
> "pool, pond" as derived from BRK "bless", in a cultural context in
which
> a pool or pond of water is a very real blessing and evidence of God's
> bounty. If there is evidence that these come from really separate
roots,
> I have not seen it. The "root fallacy" comes in when exegetes misuse
> these links to tell us something about the "real" or "original"
meanings
> of the words.
>
> Peter Kirk
> peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com