b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Satan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Satan
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:22:01 +1100

Interesting, but in case anyone is wondering it doesn't imply that the
derivation is late. For there is another similar parallel, Heb. SEREN
for the Philistine rulers and Greek "tyrant", and this is not a late
word. Also there is a non sequitur here: Gershonson states that Tityrus
comes from Satyrus, so by analogy Titan should come from Satan rather
than vice versa. Perhaps these are early loans from Semitic into Greek
rather than vice versa. Or perhaps all from a third language e.g. that
of the Philistines and other Sea Peoples.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

Satan,