b-hebrew - RE: Transliteration Schemes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Transliteration Schemes
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:55:06 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2003 6:20:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au writes:

Trevor, your long contribution should be helpful in general, but it
seems to miss out one important category which is the one Al puts
himself in: those learning Hebrew. I am thinking mostly of those
learning biblical Hebrew. I would also put myself in this category,
though perhaps more advanced than Al. But I still find that the major
difficulty which I have with Hebrew is the script, more so than the
grammar or the vocabulary. Indeed for some time I was regularly using a
transliterated Hebrew Bible text (in my computer) for my studies and
translation work. To put it simply, it is much easier (for English
speakers) to learn Hebrew using transliteration than using Hebrew
(rather, Aramaic square) script. And for many purposes this is adequate;
also if one has mastered the basics of grammar etc in transliteration it
may then be easier to transfer to Hebrew script.

I would disagree heartily with this.  From the beginning I used the Aramaic script and I have found it necessary to look up passages or retransliterate the transliteration into the Aramaic script when I didn't have BHS handy.  I don't like doing Greek in transliteration either.

gfsomsel