b-hebrew - Re: James: Hebrew or Aramaic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Miller" <biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: sesamox AT hotmail.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: James: Hebrew or Aramaic?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:38:58 -0500

It has always been my understanding (and maybe I have just been flawed), that Jews of Jesus' time spoke Aramaic. Isn't, for example, ELOI which Jesus said from the cross Aramaic, while Hebrew would simply be ELI? I am no expert...just here to learn, so any comments would be appreciated. Matt Miller

"Invariably exacerbating and complicated verbage consistently effects in me repulsion of prolific proportions."