b-hebrew - RE: Language Laws (memorization)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jane Harper <jharper AT woh.rr.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Language Laws (memorization)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:51:16 -0500

At 14:31 12/19/2002, Ken Penner wrote:
I've been mostly content to stay out of the thread about the best way to
learn Biblical Hebrew, but the repeated claim that memorization is an
impediment to learning a language needs a counterpoint.

I will address only the question of memorizing vocabulary, not
paradigms.

Vocabulary acquisition does not have to be time-consuming or tedious.

As someone who is *not* an academic in Biblical languages and therefore does not use the vocabulary every day, I feel this is a bit misleading. And as someone *with* academic preparation in the neuroscience of memory and its mechanisms, I feel the same way.

For both reasons, I suggest the following: for those of us who don't read Biblical Hebrew every day, rote initial memorization of facts (whether words or rules) is not the issue. Remote recall is. And the "flash card" approach just doesn't work in that case, unless you spend a sizeable amount of time every day doing it. We fight the same battle in teaching medical students: they have a huge potload of isolated pieces of information to memorize and they forget it as soon as they've been tested.

So if the target audience is, as the very beginning of this thread suggested (if I remember correctly), people who don't plan daily use of the language, I suggest that vocabulary acquisition *is* time-consuming *and* tedious -- and so is vocabulary retention. And it gets worse as we age, for many, so if your intended student is over 40 or so, more repetition is necessary.

My totally anecdotal experience has been that the greatest blessing in using the original languages is a computer program, yes: but one that parses and translates when you right-click on the word. That way if I'm confused about the usage I can look it up!

Jane Harper

All sanity depends on this: that it should be a delight to feel heat strike the skin, a delight to stand upright, knowing the bones are moving easily under the flesh. -- Doris Lessing