b-hebrew - RE: Language Laws (memorization)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Clayton Javurek'" <javurek AT asu.edu>
  • Cc: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Language Laws (memorization)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:31:08 -0500

I've been mostly content to stay out of the thread about the best way to
learn Biblical Hebrew, but the repeated claim that memorization is an
impediment to learning a language needs a counterpoint.

I will address only the question of memorizing vocabulary, not
paradigms.

Vocabulary acquisition does not have to be time-consuming or tedious. I
develop (and use) vocabulary memorization software, and have
conservatively calculated the rate of vocabulary acquisition at about 1
minute per word for the most recent language I learned (French). Last
summer using Flash! Pro I challenged myself to learn 100 words per day
for two weeks, and found I could do it in an hour and a half each day.
I've had similar results for German, Hebrew (modern and Biblical),
Aramaic, Latin, and Greek. For a traditional Hebrew textbook (Seow), the
vocabulary list includes 730 words, or about 30 words per week. A
half-hour per week (6 minutes per day) is not a large time commitment
for learning vocabulary. And for Greek, Mounce only expects about 13
words per week!

I would risk sounding like an advertisement if I explained that Flash!
Pro works like traditional flashcards, but being software, it can do the
tedious things quickly and intelligently, and keep track of which cards
you find difficult. It uses a sophisticated algorithm to select which
cards need to be reviewed, and brings them up for reinforcement just
before they fade from your memory. Treated as a game, it is even fun to
watch your progress!

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Clayton, and others who want to get
students into the original texts as soon and as much as possible. It is
there that real language learning happens. In my experience, the key to
a pleasurable reading experience is to know the a general meaning of
words _before_ tackling the text. Then, once in the text, I can use the
context to nuance the memorized glosses. I've found that if I know
_what_ is being talked about, I can usually figure out what is being
said _about_ it, even if I don't know all the grammar perfectly.

Here is where Flash! Pro shines. It can select all the vocabulary from
any given Biblical passage, or all the vocabulary of a given frequency
range in that passage, and serve it up in digestible chunks, noting
those words it will have to bring up again, and when. I used this
feature for a course in Acts, in which we had to be able to translate
the whole book unaided. Acts contains some 2000 vocabulary words. We had
12 weeks. Flash! Pro made it possible for me to get an A+.

Or, if one wants to learn inductively by reading Genesis, they can get
Flash! Pro to select all the words in chapter 1 that occur 30x or more
in the Bible, learn the general glosses for these, and then jump in! It
will speed up their reading considerably, and give that feeling of
success that is so necessary to maintain motivation!

In sum, you don't have to find ways _around_ memorization if you can
make the way _through_ it so much easier!

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
Ph.D. Student, Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada