b-hebrew - Re: Repetition in Numbers 7:12-83

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Repetition in Numbers 7:12-83
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:16:54 EST

In a message dated 11/21/2002 3:51:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, chosefu_chemorion AT wycliffe.org writes:

Dear all. I have two requests.First,Kindly help me to understand the
   role of repetition in Hebrew narratives.May I also know the authors
   that I could refer to, if I needed to know more about this topic.
   Secondly, Is it necessary to keep all the repeated paragraphs in my
   vernacular translation, for example in Numbers 7:12-83? Would
   summarizing the contents into a table interfere with accuracy?

If all you're interested in doing is conveying the information contained in the narrative, that can be done.  It was, however, the style of ancient epic tradition to have such repetitions.  In some cases (e.g., Homer and the Bible) you will find accounts where something is foretold (the gods declare it or God announces his intent -- through prophecy or otherwise -- to bring about an event; the event is then reported as happening; finally, there is a report to another actor in the narrative that the event occurred.  So while you would not lose information, you would most definitely lose the style.

gfsomsel