b-hebrew - Re: BH TMA, Bryan, II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BH TMA, Bryan, II
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:06:44 +1100

I wonder if you are both trying too hard to fit this verb into English
categories, either "become" or "be". I guess it works more like the verb
"olmaq" in the language I was working on. The basic meaning is "to
become", but because there is no full verb "to be", only a few clitic
forms, in some tense/aspect/moods "olmaq" is used with a meaning more
like "to be". This got the translators into problems on John 1:1 which
could be read "In the beginning the word became... the word became God"
suggesting that it had previously been something different; the clitic
form would have been more suitable. (Sorry for the NT example which is
to illustrate the use of the word not to comment on the text.) In
Genesis 1:2 at least we avoided that problem by using the clitic form.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

It
> is
> > > only saying that he came into that occupation.
> >
> > What do you do with qatal and wayyiqtol forms of HYH such as:
> >
> > Gen 1:2 'the earth HAD BECOME a formless void'?
> > Gen 2:25 'they both HAD BECOME naked'?
> > Exod 24:18 'Moses took forty days and nights to get onto the
mountain'?

> > Forgive the absurd examples, but wouldn't it really be better to see
HYH
> as
> > a stative verb which becomes ingressive in a punctual context?
> >
> > All the best
> >
> > Andy Warren
>
> On Gen 1:2, What's the problem? Doesn't fit your cosmology?
>
> Gen 2:25, I don't see how ingressive works. Here's ingressive:
"...and