b-hebrew - Re: Maher-shalal-hash-baz

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Reinhard G.Lehmann" <lehmann AT mail.uni-mainz.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Maher-shalal-hash-baz
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:00:39 +0200

Dear Nick, and all,

> could it also be said that 'Maher-shalal' is Hebrew,
> pertaining to Samaria, and 'hash-baz' is Aramaic (or maybe
> 'Aramaizing' Hebrew) relating to Damascus?

A nice idea, but I think Trevor Petersen is right, because the roots are
linuistically not very distinctive to address Aramaeans.

The root bzz is common semitic, but as far as I can see there is only one
uncertain
instance of bzz in Early and Old Aramaic damaged context (Cowley 37:7), and
some
later in the DSS as well as in Syriac.

There seems to be no real Aramaic chush (Aramaic chashash af means 'to
consider'),
and there is also Aramaic mhr ('fast', maybe also 'expert, skilled', cf.
Ahiqar 1).

If hash-baz' were Aramaic or aramaizing, relating to Damascus, why didn't the
author
choose distinct Aramaic words (e.g. bhl), as is mutatis mutandis the case in
Jer
10:11?

Reinhard

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Forschungsstelle für Althebräische Sprache
Fachbereich 02 Evangelische Theologie
Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
D - 55099 Mainz
tel: (+49) 6131 - 39 23284