b-hebrew - Re: Unusual Form?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Pere Porta" <pporta AT tinet.fut.es>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Unusual Form?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:41:09 -0400

I've just joined the list for the first time and have been, to some
extent, surprised by your question.

The nun soffit is usual in the hebrew bible and carries no special meaning
to the same verbal form without this nun.

For instance:

In Ho 8,5 this same word appears without nun soffit.
In both cases the meaning is "they will be able" (in the affirmative) and
"they will be unable" (in the negative)

There are other examples of identical verbal forms without/with nun
soffit:
the presence of the nun does not add any special significance to the word.
If you wish to see several of these without/with nun forms, please, ask
me.

Do I so answer to your true question? If not, tell me -- I repeat: it is
the very first time I take part in a mail discussion list on Hebrew
Bible...

Yours,

L. Besses