b-hebrew - RE: timing in 2 Chron 21.19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky <hermeneutics AT kulikovskyonline.net>
  • To: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: timing in 2 Chron 21.19
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:18:37 +0200

At 05:57 AM 5/09/2002 -0400, Trevor & Julie Peterson wrote:
Andrew wrote:

> But this just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not sure the infinite
> contruct
> ze't is handled correctly,

What strikes you as incorrect about it?

Why is yamim two years rather than two days?

> and I don't understand the contextual reasons
> for translating yamim as "years" rather than days.

It seems like other examples of this construction (or at least similar) are
handled the same way. This isn't necessarily meant to provide a solution,
but it should make the investigation more comprehensive. Check Gen 41:1 and
Jer 28:3, 11.

All these examples have shanah (year) preceding yamim, so they are not really comparable.

Like I said, do you think the rendering I gave previously is a possibility?