b-hebrew - Re: npsh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Ben and Jo Crick" <ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: npsh
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:26:00 +0200

Ben,
Now that you've referred to the Garden of Eden Narrative, let me throw in a few more anthropomorphism. Remember that Adam, in eating from the Tree of Knowledge, became wise (omniscient?); had he eaten also from the Tree of Life, he would also have become immortal, thus erasing all differences between him and God, in the Weltanschauung of that particular author. For that reason God fired him from his job as gardener and kicked him out of his Garden where He enjoyed strolling and taking the afternoon breeze (and couldn't see Adam and Eve because they were hiding).
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College
Beit Berl Post Office
44905 Israel

"sha'alu shelom yerushalayim yishlayu kol 'ohavayikh"
.