b-hebrew - RE: Discussion over the books of the ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Discussion over the books of the ?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:51:49 +0100 (BST)

Good Morning All.

I've picked up my 105(!) e-mails after the weekend on
the subject of names for what I would call the OT.

Could you clarify please, are we (Christians) still
allowed to call the collection of Hebrew books the Old
Testament or are we now to call them...????
Sorry I tried to think of a name for this collection
of books, but failed to think of one that wouldn't
potentially upset some group or other.

Could we agree then to use terms that, as groups
(whatever your group may be), we are traditionally
used to for convenience sake (and clarity of mind)!

That way we can get on with discussing Biblical
Hebrew.

Many thanks.
Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b