b-hebrew - 2 Kings 1:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jon Clemence" <black_strat AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: 2 Kings 1:8
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:41:40 -0500

I am interested in knowing more about the phrase "ba`al se`ar" in 2 Kings 1:8.  Does this mean that Elijah was a hairy man, had a priestly garment of hair, or had long hair (on his head)?  Those are the three options I have discovered, but none seems to stand out in light of what I have been able to learn.  Also, does anyone have a good Jewish description of what Elijah may have looked like?

Shalom,

Jon Clemence

"There will come a point in the race, when you alone will need to decide.  You will need to make a choice.  Do you really want it?  You will need to decide."  --Rolf Arands