b-hebrew - RE: Ps 45:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <BillRoss AT norisksoftware.com>
  • To: "'Bill Ross'" <BillRoss AT norisksoftware.com>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ps 45:6
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:44:57 -0500

<Bill>
The Hebrew scholar evaluating Ps 45:6 "thy throne the God" said this:

********
"your throne" in the Heb is a noun, m.s. w/2nd pers m.s. suffix pronoun.
********

Is this accurate?

What would be the same kind of analysis for the next clause:

"the scepter of your kingdom a righteous scepter"

He also said:

************
The second suggested transl also needs to be examined. "Your Throne? God
forever and forever". Two incomplete sentences! That violates common
grammatical rules.

Is this equally two incomplete sentences in the Hebrew?

"the scepter of your kingdom a righteous scepter"

I am trying to understand the [chiastic] parallelism of these two
clauses, that might aid translation, and I want to know if this is sound
advice.

Thanks,

Bill Ross
BillRoss AT norisksoftware.com