b-hebrew - Isaiah 40:22 for Rolf Furuli

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Townsend" <webmaster AT touchstoneforum.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Isaiah 40:22 for Rolf Furuli
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:58:35 -0400

Greetings:

I tried posting this is a reply, but it message wouldn't show up:

Thanks Rolf for your fine comments on this very interesting verse in the
Holy Bible. I think you and I are on the same page here. Since your
background is in languages (and mine is not), I wanted to ask you and
others here your views. It is interesting that James B. Moffat in his own
translation renders the key phrase of Isaiah 40:22 this way: "He sits over
the round earth." (Moffats Translation). Also the Douay-Rheims: "It is he
that sitteth upon the globe of the earth," this translation being of
course from Jerome's Latin Vulgate. Jerome uses the latin "gyro" or
specifically "super gyrum terrae." I don't know why Jerome would use this
word as there other Latin terms available for "circle". Perhaps you could
tell me.

I am a chemist and mathematician by background. What I have always
appreciated, is that while the Bible is not a science text, the findings
of modern Science have never proved the Bible inaccurate in its
statements. I know of no other book of antiquity that can make this claim.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

agape,
John

  • Isaiah 40:22 for Rolf Furuli, John Townsend, 07/22/2002