b-hebrew - Re: Raqiyah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Raqiyah
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:25:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/2002 8:05:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk writes:

> Do you mean that you find the notion that the
> cosmos was created out of water realistic?
> That the earth was a collection of dry from
> wet? That daylight was created before the sun?
> And that it all happened in six days?

If were asigning to God the ability to create matter
out of nothing, isn't it rather a small thing for him
to be able to re-arrange the atomic structure of an
element to make it what he wishes?
Of course if we were to suggest that the laws of
science as we know them could be flexible in the hands
of someone greater than ourselves, we open up the
possibility of an omnipotent God. We wouldn't want
that now would we?

Whether I find it realistic is not the question.  The question is, was it thought to be realistic then.  Consider the fact that Thales of Miletus who live in the 7th-6th cent. B.C. and founded the Milesian school of philosophy did precisely posit water as the foundation of all things -- see

http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/t/thales.htm#Thales%20says%20Water%20is%20the%20Primary%20Principle

gfsomsel