b-hebrew - RE: Raqiyah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Raqiyah
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:04:49 +0100 (BST)

Good afternoon Gentlemen.

It would seem the theory being proposed here is as
unstable perhaps as the waters in question, depending
of course on your stand point.

> As I've said, the waters above and the waters
> below are straight from the tradition of the
> Enuma Elish:

Couldn't have been the other way 'round then. Or are
you going to state the old 'where's the evidence'
defence again.

> They may have been written 1000 years or more before
> the material we are considering.

Because a people don't seem to have committed their
stories to writing in some form, doesn't mean that the
written evidence of a similar story is the older.
Orally transmitted material doesn't neccesarily need
to be committed to 'stone' as it were, until it is in
danger of being lost as the oral tradition wanes etc.

> Do you mean that you find the notion that the
> cosmos was created out of water realistic?
> That the earth was a collection of dry from
> wet? That daylight was created before the sun?
> And that it all happened in six days?

If were asigning to God the ability to create matter
out of nothing, isn't it rather a small thing for him
to be able to re-arrange the atomic structure of an
element to make it what he wishes?
Of course if we were to suggest that the laws of
science as we know them could be flexible in the hands
of someone greater than ourselves, we open up the
possibility of an omnipotent God. We wouldn't want
that now would we?

Everyone has an opinion on the verses we read. Some
are based on the little we see and know, some based on
faith. Perhaps we'd better stick the text itself,
conclusions are a very private thing for the
individual. Bashing those opinions about is a little
rude, even when I do it!

Thanks
Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b