b-hebrew - Re: Columbus - off topic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Columbus - off topic
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:28:55 -0400

Actually, the version that I heard was that several of his crew were secret
Jews (the term "Maranno", meaning "swine", is derogatory). This may very
well be a legend, but we should remember that the year of Columbus' voyage,
1492, was also the year of the great expulsion of the Jews from Spain,
scattering the "Sephardi" communities throughout Europe, the Mid East and
eventually the New World.

Yigal

At 06:24 PM 7/19/2002 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
>uh...Columbus was Italian....from Genoa. The Marannos were sephardic Jews
>who, at first, were forced into baptism as Christians and prohibited, on
>pain of death, from practicing their religion. As generations went by, by
>the time of Columbus, many SPANISH families were of Jewish descent without
>knowing it. This is even true of today. My grandmother was Spamish and I
>only recently discovered of Sephardic blood. But Columbus, Christofero
>Colombo, contrary to urban legend due to his association with the Spaniish
>court, was NOT spanish.
>
>Jack

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion