b-hebrew - Re: Columbus - off topic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: rosewalk AT concentric.net, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Columbus - off topic
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:36:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/2002 7:02:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rosewalk AT concentric.net writes:

As I understand, he was a Marrano (secretly a Jew, to escape death)

shoshanna

Some may find it interesting to note, as I understand it, that some
believe that Columbus was a Sephardic Jew, who undertook the trip partly
to escape persecution.

This is something of a revelation to me since I had never heard it previously.  It seems somewhat problematic, however, since the Sephardic Jews are from Spain -- correct?  Columbus was Italian.

gfsomsel