b-hebrew - RE: Elijah and Horeb - More Questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Alastair Haines <haines AT alastairs.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Elijah and Horeb - More Questions
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 05:57:51 -0400

>===== Original Message From Alastair Haines <haines AT alastairs.com> =====
>You've pushed me to another question.
>In what sense is Hashem "*lo* b'ruach," "*lo* b'ra'ash," & "*lo* b'esh?"
>How should I understand "lo b'..." in verses 11 and 12?

I'd say grammatically it's pretty much what it seems to be. Hashem was not in
those things. Beyond that, I think we're off the scope of this list :-) But
between you and me, I'd be interested to know what the Rabbinic commentators
had to say about it.

>I suggested Hashem was showing his presence but answering with silence-
>Is it the "dvar-Hashem" that is *not in* the great disturbances?
>This reading seems fair, but was it the writer's intention?

I suppose it's a possibility. I don't have the Targum handy for that passage,
but I wouldn't be surprised if it used memra here. (Anyone?) Still, I think
we
have to go with what the text says, and it seems to be focused through these
meteorological disturbances on the absence of Hashem.

>About "shema" in verse 13 referring to "ruach," "ra'ash" and "esh",
>is it so far back to go?
>But I agree it is more natural for the referent to be "qol," even if a
>"qol demama daqqa."

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying that the way the text reads
me, I see Elijah cowering in the cave until it gets quiet.

I'd be happy to discuss this further off-list, but I think we may be coming
the end of what's relevant to this forum.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics