b-hebrew - Re: The english word "Jew"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: "Ralph Purificato" <ralphp3 AT Juno.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The english word "Jew"
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:21:10 +0100

At 00:36 13/06/02, Ralph Purificato wrote:

My question here is where did the English word "Jew" come from. He
believes it was made up by Shakespeare and says the word did not exist
before that.

This is a question, the answer to which is readily available in a good dictionary, such as the Oxford English Dictionary, where you will find the dates of first recorded usage of any word are listed.

I would suggest you seek recourse to a good library, rather than a mailing list dedicated to the study of biblical Hebrew.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie