b-hebrew - Re: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: daladier2002 AT uol.com.br, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 18:14:35 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2002 9:58:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, daladier2002 AT uol.com.br writes:

Analizing Judges 11:30-40 in connection with II Kings 3:27, one question has formed in my mind:
The word olah suggest the sacrifice of daugther of Jeftah? This episode is literal ou symbolic?
Please send yours opinions!

I would agree.  She was sacrificed.  It may offend some sensibilities, but I think it reflects an early stage in Israelite religion.

gfsomsel