b-hebrew - RE: mevaseret in Isaiah (was company or women)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: mevaseret in Isaiah (was company or women)
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 19:59:53 +0100

One translation tradition (e.g. KJV) understands "mevasseret Zion" in
Isaiah 40:9 as adjective and noun: "O Zion, herald of good tidings"
(NRSV). This would explain the feminine: Zion is feminine. Another
tradition (at least as old as Handel's Messiah!) understands this as a
construct chain, so "O herald of good tidings to Zion" (NRSV margin cf
English RV) but this leaves the feminine unexplained. LXX seems to keep
the ambiguity (as Zion and Jerusalem are indeclinable) but makes the
whole thing masculine.

I wonder if we are reading back our presuppositions about ancient
cultures rather than our knowledge of them when we suggest that women in
those days could not travel alone and could not read. The Shunammite
woman seems to have travelled with just one servant, 2 Kings 4:24-26. Or
maybe there is some theological significance to the femininity here.
(Christians might see this fulfilled in that a woman, Mary Magdalene,
was the first to witness the Resurrection and tell the news of it in
Jerusalem - I have never heard this from a preacher, but would not be
surprised to!)

Peter Kirk