b-hebrew - mevaseret in Isaiah (was company or women)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: mevaseret in Isaiah (was company or women)
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:20:30 -0400

I've been wondering about the mevaseret in 2nd Isaiah.
It seems really odd that this refers to a woman,
since if feels more to me that it refers to the prophet
(of course the prophet could be a prophetess!).
Is it possible for the noun to simply be feminine,
tho referring to a male?
It seems very unlikely to me that there would be
female heralds in antiquity since they 1) had to
travel about, and 2) they usually read what they
were announcing.
Liz