b-hebrew - Re: Elohim singular/plural in Genesis 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yohanan Goldman <Amirpatrick.Goldman AT unifr.ch>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Elohim singular/plural in Genesis 1
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:27:32 +0200

On 8/5/02 9:26 am, Fernando Arias at fernando.arias AT lycos.com wrote:

1) Why is Elohim used with a singular meaning in most of Genesis 1 but it has
a plural meaning in Genesis 1:26?

It does not have a plural meaning in Gen 1:26. Here elohim is the subject of
the verb )MR which is masculine singular. The plural form of (&H has no
grammatical bearing on the number of Elohim. It is as if I wrote:

I said, "We should go to the shops today."

The fact that "we" is the subject of my quoted speech does not make me
plural!

Martin,
Is this plural "of exhortation" as Koenig coined it, attested elsewhere in Biblical Hebrew ?

Yohanan