b-hebrew - Re: Verb trial thesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Taylor" <dave201 AT mail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Verb trial thesis
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 01:01:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Randall Buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 03:37:41 -0400
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>

> On 1 Sam 17.34-35. The verbs are talking about open-ended,
> multiple actions, i.e. the veqatal verbs. The vayyiqtol pulls out one
> incidence and uses it as an example of what would happen in a
> particular case. You may translate with "if a lion would stand up
> against me", though the structure is not a standard conditional
> clause, it is an exemplary clause within a string of habituals.
>
> blessings
>
> Randall Buth
> Jerusalem

Shalom Randall,

I would like to differ with your proposed translation, since the setting of
the story clearly indicates that the incident did occur. David is using it to
prove to Saul his courage and valor and that he is capable of fighting the
Philistines. There is no point in stating what he would do, i.e if a lion did
this I would do that, since David has already claimed that he is capable of
fighting the Philistines. It is when Saul said: "You are not able to go
against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are but a youth while he
has been a warrior from his youth." that David wanted to represent his proven
capability (i.e the incident of the lion).

The interchange between the the veqatal verbs and vayyiqtol verbs in 1 Saul
17:34-35, I believe, is to indicate that the action represented by the
veqatal verb is immediately followed by the action represented by the
vayyiqtol. Hence the translation could be like this: " As soon as the lion
took the lamb from the flock, I went out after him" and " as soon as I
rescued it from his mouth he rose up against me".

Regards,

Dave.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup