b-hebrew - Re: Interpretation and language development

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Burks <rwburks AT flash.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Interpretation and language development
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:04:39 -0600

Michael,

Emanuel Tov has written an excellent book on Textual Criticism which
discusses the
development of the text. He also discusses how the development of the text
led to
different readings and therefore different interpretations of the passages.
He also
discusses the development of the LXX, Vulgate, Samaritian text, Aramaic
targum, and the
Qumron documents and discusses how some of the copying methods were sometimes
affected
by religious considerations of the copiest or translator.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, however I believe it is an
excellent
work, and may help to understand how the development of different readings of
the text
were based on factors including religious view points. These readings of
course affect
our interpretation today.

Regards,

Bill Burks