b-hebrew - Re: Interpretation and language development

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "weismann" <weismann AT fibertel.com.ar>
  • To: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Interpretation and language development
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:44:48 -0300

Hello,
I've read a time ago a good book, translated from the Spanish into English
and published by Cambridge U;P., " A History of the Hebrew Language" by
Saenz Badillos. It was translated by an important British Hebraist, Wouven,
I think. I have not the book now by myself. Sanez Badillos alludes to the
subject you are searching in some way.

Other classical works( Bowen(?) about Hebrew and Greek Thought; Tresmontant
about Hebrew Thought, etc) also studied that interesting subject. Excuse me
but I quote from my memory: I have not now those books.The Semantics of
Hebrew ( from Bible, Mishna, Rabbinics, Kabbalistic, Hasidic Language, New
Hebrew in the "Thesaurus" of Ben Yehuda, the actual Proceedings of the
Academy of the Hebrew Language in Israel, etc) are a vast field to the
research. I think humbly that are some changes, semantically and
conceptually.

Moshé bar Asher is an outstanding Hebrew Scholar ( he was President of the
Academy of Hebrew Language) and he knows very well the subject. I spoke with
him in Paris and he is an excellent person and a bright scholar.

I hope this'ld help.

Happy Feasts, F.J. Weismann weismann AT fibertel.com.ar.---