b-hebrew - RE: Simple question-roots

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Jason A. Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Simple question-roots
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:07:40 -0500

shalom Hevre

Jason Hare katav:
>To relate this to the B-Hebrew list... Hebrew uses a root system (as we
>all know), too. I guess you might think of the "root" (in relation to
>Greek) as the tri-literal formulation (in Hebrew) that carries the
>distinctive meaning of the word. The Greek "stem" relates (ever so
>slightly) to the Hebrew vowel patterns.

I would be happier saying that the tri-literal formulation relates
to "the etymological history of the word"
rather than "carries the distinctive meaning"
There is qiute a large functional difference in real language usage.

Had sameaH

Randall Buth

  • RE: Simple question-roots, Randall Buth, 03/27/2002