b-hebrew - RE: MiQ:TaL formative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: MiQ:TaL formative
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:55:19 +0300

These noun forms are closely analogous to the common Arabic MAQTAL
pattern which is also used for places; the change of the first consonant
from A to I is a regular (and quite late, post-LXX) shift in Hebrew. So
any derivation from MIY or MIN- must be very ancient, back in
proto-Semitic times or earlier, which really takes us into the realm of
pointless speculation. As the M- preformative is regularly used for
participles in other conjugations in both Arabic and Hebrew, it seems
more likely that this form was originally a participle whose meaning
became frozen.

Peter Kirk