b-hebrew - Re: Zech 6:8 ruch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Zech 6:8 ruch
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:48:30 -0800

on 3/25/02 3:04 PM, c Stirling bartholomew wrote:

> I have not been successful so far finding a convincing example of ruch
> without a modifier used for anger/wrath with God as the subject in the MT.
> This and the fact that the Vulgate reads spiritus at Zech 6:8 departing from
> the LXX QUMOS, leads me to suspect that the LXX use of QUMOS is an
> "exegetical" rendering at Zech 6:8.
>
> Can anyone show me a case where ruch is used alone (no modifier) for anger
> in reference to God?

Well, I got some off list help with this which is appreciated. It still
seems like a slippery problem.

First of all QUMOS in the LXX when it translates ruch does not necessarily
mean wrath or anger. Ezek. 39:29 presents an intriguing problem in this
respect. Why did the LXX not use PNEUMA here?

Furthermore, ruch with )f as we find in Ex. 15:8, Job 4:9, Psa 18:16, is a
storm theophany* idiom. It may be somewhat of a reach to try and find a
storm theophany in Zech. 6:8 and if we did we would still need to account
for the lack of )f in this context. In other words, ruch used alone is not
the same as ruch with )f.

Another related issue is ruch translated by ORGH as in Isa. 59:19. I am
clueless about this one. Anyone got any ideas?

Anyway, the original question is still open. Looking for a clear cut example
where ruch unmodified clearly means anger/wrath with God as the subject.

thanks,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Some reading on storm theophany texts see in OT/NT:

Cross, Frank Moore. Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic, Harvard 1973

God is a warrior / by Tremper Longman III and Daniel G. Reid.
Grand Rapids c1995.

Anderson, Bernhard W., Creation Versus Chaos, Fortress 1987.

Kloos, Carola. Yhwh¹s Combat with the Sea, E.J. Brill, 1986

  • Zech 6:8 ruch, c stirling bartholomew, 03/25/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Zech 6:8 ruch, c stirling bartholomew, 03/26/2002