b-hebrew - Psalm 2:7 and Proverbs 31 ben/bar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT bigfoot.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Psalm 2:7 and Proverbs 31 ben/bar
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:42:49 -0500

Shalom B-Hebrew,

Proverbs 31:1-2
The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?

Psalms 2:12 (KJV)
2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way,
when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

We know that Proverbs 31 is a form of bar, and likely an Aramaic loan word to Hebrew
(would like the closest pronunciation, if possible, and also of Psalms 2:12)

Psalsms 2 is controversial, it could be the same root as Proverbs 31,
or it could be the different Hebrew word for purity ..

There is an argument sometimes made, that it can't be the Aramaic word in
Psalms 2, because "the aramaic word always appears in the construct form,
the only way the word could possibly be translated"

This seems like a gerry-rigged straitjacket imposed on the language for
theological ends .. however I would like the b-hebrew forums expertise
in understanding and/or disassembling this claim.....

Thanks :-)

Schmuel AT bigfoot.com

Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com