b-hebrew - RE: From the Beginning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: From the Beginning
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:15:28 -0500

> I am new to this list and do not have a long appendage of letters added
> to my name so that anyone should take what I say serious.
>
> When I come to Genesis 1:1, a number of questions come to mind as I read
> this verse.
> 1. What was God doing in eternity before he began the act of creation?
The bible doesn't discuss this.

> 2. What are the pictographic meanings available?
> I see God in anthropomorphic way pressing his lips hard together and
> letting go with "Bereshit" "br)shyt" followed by another word "barah".
> "br)"
> The time is the beginning of something/
> The act is creation.
> the objects of creation is first the heavens followed by creation of the
> earth.
No, the first thing GOd says is "let there be light."
The narrator says the rest.
The bible does not say how or when the earth, the water, the darkness got
there.

Liz

  • From the Beginning, Lawrence May, 03/17/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: From the Beginning, Lisbeth S. Fried, 03/18/2002