b-hebrew - Re: Question: Off topic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question: Off topic?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:13:24 -0500

At 04:14 PM 3/14/02 +0000, you wrote:
Dear Members.
I've a question that I would apprectiate your thoughts
on. Whilst not strictly on the Hebrew scriptures it is
connected.
Q: What good reasons are there for studying the Old
Testament Scriptures in Hebrew?

Ian, I would say that when you know the Hebrew well enough you will find that no translation satisfies you. All translations involve compromises and hard decisions, knowing that you are doomed to err because the two languages, Hebrew and English are so different. (BTW this is not the case with Arabic, or other Semitic translations.)

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur: chassidus-subscribe AT chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list: chassidus-subscribe AT egroups.com
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254 Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman