b-hebrew - Re: G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joe Baker <joebaker AT cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:48:25 +0800

Hi all
I have been reading the posts on this subject but have yet to see an answer
to one earlier request on the original pronounciation.

OK. so Gertoux says it's Yéhouah in French,

But how is this pronounced in English?

Some discussion has centred on -ou- but even these answers have left me a
bit confused (not sure if its tOO or sOW.

As for the whole name (and particularly the French writing Yé rather than
Ye)

Is it
Yeah-oo-ah (early Beatles) or
Yeah-oh-ah or
Yay-ow-ah or
Yee-hoo-ah (the Santa Claus variety) or
Yee-who-ah or
any other combination of English sounds?

If you cab please advise in IPA or failing that (or more likely a suitable
font) can you do in it in "sounds-like" style ie "-oo- as in too"

Regards
Joe Baker ===========\
Perth |
Western Australia ===/