b-hebrew - Re: G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 06:27:13 +0100

You never know, perhaps someone out there pronounces "ouest" /uest/, but I've
never heard it!

Ian

But in foreign names transcribed in French "ou" can be a consonant like
English "w". How many syllables are there in Ouagadougou (capital of
Burkina Faso)? It would be different if there was a diaeresis over the
"u", as in the Hebrew grammarian's name Jouon, but how is that name
actually pronounced?

Peter Kirk