b-hebrew - Re: French OU

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "CL" <carmel.de.lisieux AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: French OU
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:12:17 +0100

pere.casanellas AT btlink.net wrote :
>This pronuntiation of Ou-a-ga-dou-gou seems to me rather strange. "Oui" or
>"Ouais!" is pronounced in French in one syllable according to what all we
know and to >Grevisse and Dict. Lexis (Larousse). "Ouaouron" is pronounced
[wawar..], that is to say, >three syllables, according to Lexis...
As noted before, there is only (but there is) a slight distinction, in that
the "ou" is temporally longer than "w." I am sure there are interesting
variations throughout Europe and namely Spain, but I will not carry on this
thread as we're not on a French list. For more info, anyone may contact G.
Gertoux himself (and share the results ?)
Best regards,
Camille