b-hebrew - RE: yayin references

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Kevin W. Woodruff'" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: yayin references
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:03:56 -0000

The YAYIN in Neh 13:15 may have been unfermented when it was loaded up
for the trip to Jerusalem, if freshly squeezed from fresh grapes and so
during the summer; but it wouldn't have been unfermented by the time
Nehemiah saw it being carried into Jerusalem. It doesn't take long for
grape juice to ferment in hot weather with no refrigeration. So
unfermented grape juice could only have existed during the grape harvest
season, and any references to YAYIN at other seasons e.g. Passover must
be to fermented wine.

Peter Kirk

citations, by